Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Hearst Castle

In my previous post, I alluded to a full post on Hearst Castle and the surrounding areas, so here it is. I had been wanting to visit Hearst Castle for quite some time, and this weekend presented the perfect opportunity. It was my birthday, so I got to make the itinerary. Not a lot of persuasion had to take place though, because my sweetie was all for it. I must say this place is quite impressive, but the Pools, oh the pools. All I kept hearing about in the week leading up to our trip was how great the pools are, blah blah blah. I actually felt that I might even be disappointed because everyone was talking them up so much. But alas, I was completely in awe, just like everyone had prepared me...
Can we say, picturesque?


That was the front of the main house and here is one of the bell towers showing off some of its architectural elements.



The outside pool is truly amazing. Something out of the Roman Empire. In fact, the Roman ruins were the inspiration for this beauty..



My sweetie taking in the view.



Don't you just want to jump in? No?



How bout now?





That's one of the guesthouses in the corner there..oh, and the view to the side of the main house.



Then it was on to the inside of the main house..no flash photography allowed (I hate flash anyway)..or tripods, so I had to settle for handheld while recording a correct exposure. Oh and it was great, because they had already started decorating for Christmas.





The main dining area..fit for a King.



I just Love this Poinsetta tree.



Next Stop: The Home Theater..it was amazing! They played some old film which showed us some of the animals that he had living at his personal zoo!





Theater detail..



Our last stop on the tour was the famous INDOOR POOL and let me tell you it did not disappoint! These pics don't do it justice, b/c it was just unlike anything you have seen and to think it was built over 100 years ago. Amazing!





This is actually the diving platform.



Hearst is definitely a place I would recommend seeing if you are in the area. It is truly unique and beautiful!



On the way out the next morning, we were advised to go check out the elephant seals just a couple miles up the PCH. I found out what an animal lover my husband is on this little detour. Remember the zoo I mentioned that Hearst had when he lived there? Well there are still remnants (animals) left grazing around on the land--and one of those animals happens to be the zebra!



Who needs an African Safari when you've got perfectly normal zebra in your backyard?



We also stopped and bonded with these cuties along the way.








Finally we made it to the elephant seals after getting distracted along the way. I wouldn't say it was too impressive, but it's always interesting to see a bunch of blubber sunbathing on a nice fall afternoon.



Since we couldn't get close enough to take pictures of these cute creatures, a pic of a pic will have to suffice. Aren't they cute though?



Guess I got kinda close to this guy. He was bathing all by himself on the other side of the beach.



That about wraps us up..I'll leave you with a shot of the scenery in the area surrounding the seals.